Sun, 31/10/2010 – 11:37pm — Nathan
The Ulster Museum is located in The Botanic Gardens in Belfast and has around 8000 metres of display space. The museum features collections of Fine Art, Applied Art, Archaeology, Spanish Armada, Local History, and Geology.
The museum was founded in 1821 and began exhibiting in 1833. It was originally called Belfast Municipal Museum and Art Gallery, but was forced to change its name to The Ulster Museum in 1961 as part of the Courtesy of Museum Act (Northern Ireland) and was formally recognised as a national museum. In July 2005 a £17 million refurbishment was announced and the museum closed its doors in October 2006. The museum then reopened after the refurbishment was complete in 2009 on the museums 80th anniversary.